Polytechnic Graduates Embarrassed At NYSC Camp Over Missing IT Certificates

Obasempire reports that some polytechnic graduates faced significant humiliation at the NYSC orientation camp yesterday.

Read more: Nigeria Police FPRO Responds to Criticism Over Marital Preferences

They were outrightly rejected due to the absence of their Industrial Training (IT) certificates.

This follows the NYSC’s recent policy requiring proof of IT participation before advancing to Higher National Diploma (HND) programs.

Those unable to resolve the issue arrived at the NYSC orientation camp with disheartening stories. This issue predominantly affected polytechnic graduates mobilized for Batch B Stream.

Their failure to provide evidence of the mandatory one-year Industrial Training (IT) as required for camp participation led to their embarrassment.

NYSC Coordinator in Lagos State, Mrs. Yetunde Baderinwa, had informed NAN on August 3 that the policy would be enforced starting with the next orientation camp.

“That is part of the requirement for obtaining an HND Certificate, isn’t it? So, it’s just that certificate.
“That is one of the documents they are required to present at the camp.

“You know, everyone is admitted to the camp, and your documents are scrutinised. But what happens is that that is the requirement”, an NYSC official said.

However, another category of students at the centre of the rejection at the NYSC orientation camp, is graduates of Science Laboratory Technology (SLT) over the non-possession of IT letters.

The board had earlier said SLT graduates from polytechnics must be registered with the National Institute for Science Laboratory Technology (NISLT) before being mobilised for service.

However, the NBTE executive secretary, Idris Bugaje said the agency has never made registration with any professional body as a condition for polytechnic graduation to participate at the NYSC orientation camp.
Bugaje stated this in a letter addressed to NYSC insisted.

According to him, the NBTE remains the country’s sole regulator of polytechnic education.
He explained that NBTE carries out joint accreditation of programmes with the NISLT and other professional bodies.

Read more: Minister Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye Criticizes Viral Video Exploiting Mentally-Challenged Mother

“The NYSC should have sought clearance from the NBTE as regulators of the polytechnic sector before taking this decision.

Bugaje asked the NYSC to revoke the decision as a condition for mobilising HND graduates to enable them be part of the process at the orientation camp.

No matter how it eventually turns out the stigma of polytechnic Graduates at the NYSC orientation camp may deepened the long-standing discrimination that had trailed them.

Click to watch our latest video

Sanwo-Olu Grants N100,000 To NYSC Members, Announces New Camp Construction

Obasempire reports that Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has provided a cash gift of N100,000 to each National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member completing the orientation for Batch ‘B’ Stream 1.

The governor was present at the passing-out parade on Tuesday at the NYSC camp in Iyana Ipaja.

A total of 4,277 Corps members were assigned to Lagos for the Batch ‘B’ Stream 1 orientation, but only 2,822 graduates could be accommodated at the Iyana Ipaja camp. The remaining members were stationed in Ogun and Osun.

Consequently, Sanwo-Olu announced the allocation of N5 billion to expedite the construction of a new Orientation Camp in Agbowa, Ikorodu Division to address the space limitations.

He also committed to ongoing funding for the project, assuring that the facility would be finished before his term concludes.

Additionally, the governor offered automatic employment opportunities within the state’s civil service to 100 Corps members from Stream 1, who, upon completion of their service year, are recognized for their outstanding performance at their respective primary assignments.

“I am impressed by the sense of responsibility and hard work which Corps members in Lagos have shown in the course of their service year,” Sanwo-Olu stated.

“I have adopted this particular batch as my Corps and I will be monitoring your efforts.

“At the end of your service year, the best 100 Corps members in this batch will get automatic employment into Lagos public service.

“Additionally, each Corps member here today is to go home with N100,000 as a form of welfare support.”

Read more: Kumuyi Denies Relocating To UK Amidst Criticism, Misreporting

The Lagos governor admonished the corps members not to let the objectives of the national service be lost on them, noting that the significance of the scheme was to explore the strength of the country’s diversity to foster national unity.

He described Lagos orientation camp as “a microscopic representation” of the country, pointing out that the state remained a melting pot of cultures, languages and traditions where the corps members would experience a first-hand strength that came with diversity.

Sanwo-Olu advised the youths to show high level of responsibility in dealing with challenging situations they may find themselves in, cautioning them to avoid incendiary narratives propagated through social media.

Click to watch our latest video